I spent part of my summer considering how I can effectively motivate and teach my students. As a result of this reflection, I determined to change the idea of “I taught this today” to “we learned this today.”
I also thought about Essential Questions. I realize that a good Essential Question leads to motivating students. I also know that when Essential Questions fit into different courses they cause deeper thinking for students. I wondered about how a single Essential Question would work out. I hope it causes my students to think deeper throughout the year. I considered several Essential Questions for this year. I finally selected the “Bold print questions to use with my classes.” I’m sharing them with you for those who might be interested.
7th Grade Science:
How does structure affect things?
Why is structure important?
How does structure affect the world?
What is structure?
What would happen without structure?
9th Grade Science
What makes life beautiful?
Why should I care about my world?
What affects my world?
How do my actions affect the world?
How are natural phenomena represented?
I’m excited about the new school year and look forward to working with my students. I know your dedication to science and teaching. I am confident that all of Utah’s Science teachers are looking for ways to help students succeed this year. I look forward to joining you at our Annual USTA Day on October 10, 2009 and at our Spring Conference on February 12 and 13, 2010.
Do you no longer offer a five year membership for $40? I printed off the membership form to send to Dr. Tolman but I remember seeing somewhere last summer a five-yr. membership.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
FYI,
ReplyDeleteThe multiple year membership is now available again from the website.